Southern Momma to two handsome boys. Welcome to my crazy monogrammed life!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mock Crab Cakes

In the south, our squash comes in by the bushels in the hot summer heat.  In order to use it all, I remember having squash prepared a million different ways.  We eat it sauteed, boiled, fried, casseroled; you name it, we've probably tried it!  My family loves crab cakes, especially when they're freshly pulled from the creek. Combine our love for squash and crab cakes, and voila, the mock crab cake is born!

Mock Crab Cakes

2 cups grated squash or zucchini (about 2 large squash)
2 eggs
1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
3 green onions, chopped
2-3 teaspoons Old Bay
1 teaspoon mayonnaise (Duke's, of course!)
vegetable oil

Grate squash.  If you do not have a food processor, it's worth the money!  I find myself using it more and more these days.  I love how it turns a tedious task like grating into a quick step.


Drain well, pressing between paper towels.  It's going to take a few papers towels!  Squash are filled with water.



Combine squash and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.  Divide mixture into 8 portions, shaping each into a patty.  Pour oil to the depth of 1/2 inch into skillet.  Fry patties in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side.  Drain on paper towels after cooking to remove excess oil.


And this is where I got slack with my picture taking.  Sorry guys, just form the patties and fry them.  It's really simple; I promise!  There is one trick to frying them and keeping them together.  Place the patties in the freezer for about 30 minutes.



Lemon Remoulade

2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup creole mustard
2 garlic cloves, pressed (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
2 teaspoons chopped parsley (fresh is best)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Whisk cover, and chill for 30 minutes.



I hope y'all enjoy this new take on squash.  Even my big boy loves it!



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment